September 13, 2021
In September, Saskatchewan Health Authority will be working with your school to arrange for the administration of the COVID-19 vaccine to students born in 2009 and older. Providing immunization to students is consistent with new national recommendations and endorsement by Health Canada. The COVID-19 vaccine is voluntary.
The following information package is provided for both parents and students to read and discuss before proceeding with immunization. Your child’s school will also provide information detailing the date and location of their specific clinic.
This package includes information about the Pfizer and Moderna brands of vaccine- children are only eligible to receive these brands; and a link to after-care sheets that outlines common side effects of the vaccine; and a consent form for use as outlined:
- If your child is participating in the school-based immunization program they must be born in 2009 (i.e. will turn 12 years of age by December 31, 2021). The age criteria has been increased slightly in order to offer protection to a larger number of children. A signed consent form must accompany them to their appointment on the date of the clinic.
- Students 13 years of age or older can consent to their own immunization as they are considered to be a ‘mature minor.’ Written parental permission is not required; however we encourage parents to support their children in understanding this choice and reviewing the vaccine materials together.
- Eligibility is based on age, and not grade. Children born after 2009 are not yet eligible; however can obtain immunization as soon as they become eligible.
Vaccine Information and After Care Sheets
- Pfizer Information Sheet: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/-/media/files/coronavirus/vaccine/vaccine-information/pfizer-biontech-information-sheet-2020-12-30.pdf
- Pfizer After Care Sheet: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/-/media/files/coronavirus/vaccine/vaccine-information/pfizer-biontech-after-care-sheet.pdf
- Moderna Information Sheet: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/-/media/files/coronavirus/vaccine/vaccine-information/moderna-information-sheet-2020-12-29.pdf
- Moderna After Care Sheet: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/-/media/files/coronavirus/vaccine/vaccine-information/moderna-after-care-sheet-2020-12-29.pdf
Additional information, including common questions as well as a French version of this package is also available at COVID-19 Vaccine Details | COVID-19 Vaccine Information | Government of Saskatchewan
If your child would like to access immunization sooner than the school’s clinic date, or if your child will miss the school clinic for any reason, alternate options to be immunized include any participating pharmacy in Saskatchewan, or an SHA pop-up clinic in your area.
The COVID-19 immunization is a safe, effective way to help everyone stay healthy, prevent illness and save lives. Thank you for considering this opportunity.
The Saskatchewan Health Authority